Southern Express Way or Route number E 1will be ceremonially opened by the H.E.the president Mahinda Rajapaksha on November 27. Southern Expressway is the Sri Lanka’s first fee-levying highway and the first expressway in Sri Lanka and it is the longest expressway out of proposed expressway network. This high way is a part of an ambitious project to connect Bandaranaike International Airport with Mattala Airport in Hambantota.
The Southern Highway project was divided into two sections for financing purposes. The first phase of the highway which has been fully constructed is runs from Kottawa to Matara (126 km) and also includes Galle Fort Access road. Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Japan Bank of International Corporation (JBIC) are the main funding agencies for this project. Section from Kottawa to Kurundugahahetekma (65 km) was undertaken by JBIC and section from Kurundugahahetekma to Godagama, Matara (64.8 km) was undertaken by ADB. The next 30-kilometre phase which is to end by 2013, will extend the highway from Galle to Matara, while the third stage will take it from Matara to Mattala Airport in Hambantota, the Minister said. Government surveyors have already begun to survey the land from Matara to Hambantota, to acquire land for the highway, which would be a six-lane road.
Economic and Social development of the region.
Component of the proposed Expressway network.
Benefits of the Project
Contributing to national economy.
Toll charges will be levied under 4 segments for all vehicles.
Category 1: Cars, dual purpose vehicles and light motor trucks
Category 2: Light Motor Coaches including passenger transporting vans with more than nine seats and passenger transporting buses with between nine and thirty three seats.
Category 3:Heavy vehicles, including buses with more than 33 passenger seats, lorries and trucks with two axles and six wheels and lorries and trucks with three axles.
Category 4: Heavy vehicles including heavy motor coaches and heavy motor lorries with four axles.
Toll collecting centers would operate 24 hours a day. Tickets would be issued for vehicles at entry points, while road users would have to pay the toll fees at the exit points of the Expressway. Arraignments have been made to introduce an electronic card system for vehicle users of the Southern Highway to settle their toll fees under the second stage.
Bus fare from Kottawa to Galle will cost Rs.380 per passenger.
- Pedestrians will be strictly prohibited from entering the highway, while those who do so will be fined Rs. 5,000.
- Bicycles, Motorcycles, Three wheelers and Tractors are not allowed to enter to the high way.
- Maximum speed on the highway is 100 km/hr. Those exceeding the speed limit will be charged for violation.
- Overtaking is to be from the right hand side.
- No billboards will be allowed on the highway, as they would distract drivers which could lead to accidents.
- Litter thrown from moving vehicles too will be strictly monitored and offenders fined.
- The motorists will be required to travel with their shutters closed at all times.
- Seat belt rule too will be strictly enforced.
- In case a vehicle stalls on the road, motorists are advised to switch on their hazard lights and call the emergency number 1989, following which a breakdown vehicle patrolling the road 24-hours, will arrive promptly.
Safety measures and Facilities
- A 1.7 metre lane has been designated on the side of the road for motorists to pull over in case of an emergency.
- All road signs have been clearly displayed overhead in all three languages for the convenience of motorists.
- One filling station is situated along the highway, which is also a place for motorists to take a break. It consists of a few shops and toilet facilities.
- The hotline will help the motorists of the Expressway to get access to accident service, fire brigade, ambulance and police. The division will consist with nearly 500 personnel equipped with modern cars, motorbikes, jeeps, ambulances, bowsers, two trucks and fire trucks.
Latest posts by Sandun W (see all)
- The Success Story of Soma Edirisinghe - December 19, 2013
- “Abhinayana Sampath-Ratna Rangabhumika” Drama Festival - December 17, 2013
- How to get your Revenue License Online – A step by step description - December 16, 2013