Lokuge Dinesh Chandimal,one of the most crowd attracted young cricketers in Sri Lanka. He is one of the new emerging hopes for Sri Lankan Cricket.With his right handed stylish batting, he has been able to establish himself as a bright prospect for the Sri Lankan cricket. Chandimal has already represented Sri Lanka in all format of the game. He is believed to be next Aravinda de Silva of Sri lanka cricket. Dinesh came to an outstanding form in the just concluded Commonwealth bank series ,becoming the fifth highest run scorer of the tournament ate of 52.37. He is expected to play in the Asia cup tournament to be held in Bangladesh. Here are few less known facts about this emerging cricket star.
Childhood and early career as a school boy cricketer:
- Dinesh Chandimal was Born on November 18, 1989 in Balapitiya and started his cricketing career with Ambalangoda Sri Dharmashoka Vidyalaya and then was selected to represent Ananda College due to his immense talents.
- While performing at Ananda College ,he went on to Captain the Sri Lanka Under 19 Cricket team in the world Cup.
- He was selected as the Sunday observer School Boy Cricketer in 2009. In the same year he made his first establishment in the Sri Lanka Team at the ICC T20 world cup.
- Once in a while he used to remove his gloves and Bowl his Right-arm offbreak during the school cricket season.
Tsunami disaster and other obstacles in life:
- Childhood memories of Chandimal were a mixture of emotions. He was just a 13 year old boy when his home was destroyed by the brutal tsunami and the livelihood of his father taken with it. This immense hardship that would have brought most others to their knees seems to have breed a real strength in him in the guise of a relentless desire to overcome and rise.
- Tsunami desaster was not his only obstacle to overcome in his pursuit of a cricket career with the lack of finances of his family and then burden in a struggle with identity in his junior career weighing on him. That saw him burdened with the mental duress of being tagged a ‘chucker’ in his dabbling in off spin.
- He was kept away from the National team as his Playing role was a Wicketkeeper batsman and due to the availability of Senior Players like Kumar Sangakkara and Prasanna Jayawardana.Without making this a barrier for his career brave hearted Chandimal was able to develop his ground fielding and then enter the National team.
- Despite being only 22 years old at the moment ,his Major team representations are Sri Lanka, Nondescripts Cricket Club, Ruhuna,Schools Invitation XI, Sri Lanka A, Sri Lanka Academy XI,Sri Lanka Board President’s XI,Sri Lanka Cricket Development XI, Sri Lanka Under-17s,Sri Lanka Under-19s
- He was able score a magnificent hundred runs at the most venerated ground in cricket history,the Lord’s and reserved a place in the National team.
- Captaining the Ananda College 1st XI Cricket team he almost broke the record set by Arjuna Ranathunga in the highest number of under 19 School cricket.
- With his captaincy ,Ananda College was able secure the highest number of Out right wins in the tournament ,showing his capabilities as a captain.
- He currently has a batting average of 41.15 in 33 ODI appearings. He is the only Sri lankan ODI batsman to have an average above 40.
- He made his Test debut on Boxing Day against South Africa, in Durban, in the 2011-12 season. He averages 37 in two test appearances. He has clearly shown that he deserves more consistent opportunity in the test team.
- In personal life, he is modest and humble guy. He loves to spend time with his family when ever he gets time. Also he still frequents Galle where he grew up and one special other reason.
- Dinesh Chandimal admires Romesh Kaluwitharana for his aggressive style and ‘keeping skills.
- Chandimal was invited to play for NCC just after his prolific school cricket career by then Sri Lanka cricket captain Kumar Sangakkara.
- Favorite foods – Fried dry anchovy sprats, fish, steamed jack fruit and coconut sambal.
- Chandimal works in Dimo Lanka Ltd.
- favorite past-times – Listening to music, watching movies and playing computer games.
Which statement Do you like about Dinesh Chandimal’s cricketing future
|He is talented and should be given a permanent place in the test side|
|He is an agressive batsman and should continue to be ODI & T20 specialist|
Latest posts by Sandakalum (see all)
- Sri Lankan Cricketer Dilshan Munaweera’s Pre-wedding Shoot - April 3, 2016
- Parawarthana Sinhala Film – Photos & Trailer - December 13, 2013
- Lanka Help Celebrates Its Three Years Online - November 10, 2013