It has become a custom that most of among us usher in the New Year with a long list of New Year resolutions; lose weight, save money, quit smoking… What about ‘making your living environment more colorful to be one of them this time? If you are in, here are some interesting facts that you should know about coloring your walls; some you may have already knew, some you may haven’t.
Basically, there are two important facts that you shouldn’t forget about colors;
- If the environment is cool, use warm colors
- If the environment is warm, use cool colors
It seems simple. But the question is, how are you going to find out whether the environment is cool or warm. Check the following out and see if the answer is there.
Color influencing factors; Color cannot stand alone
It is true that many of us are used to color the walls with our favorite colors. If we like the particular color, we just paint the walls with it. I’m not saying it is bad, because you should decorate your own place as the way you want since you are the one who live there. But isn’t it better if you could try to do it in a more perfect way? Therefore, you should never forget that color cannot stand alone. Before you color the walls, there are few other things that you have to consider about, in addition to your personal preference.
- 1. Light
Color and light work together. Light contains color. Light effects on color more than other factors and elements. Light could be divided into two kinds as natural light and artificial light.
- Natural Light – If we take a room we should expose it to the natural light before we distribute color in it. Natural light affects color according to the orientation or direction of light (east light, north light, south light, and west light), the season of the year, and the other environmental factors such as humidity.
- East Light – east light is clear and bright. It is strong in the early morning; gentle the balance of the day.
- North Light – Normally it’s cold light. It’s also constant light. Northern light could be enhanced by using warm color. It gives a warm, friendly, inviting effect to the interior.
- South Light – it is constant and warm. Southern exposure is the one which receives the major share of daylight. Under this light it can be used almost any color you wish.
- West light – it is hazy and hot. It should almost always have color tones to avoid discomfort especially in the summer months in the late afternoons.
- Artificial Light – one of the purposes of using artificial light is to prevail the interior to the natural light. Artificial lighting is a powerful ally of color because of its dramatic impact. It can enhance any focal point in a specific interior and add more value to it. It acts under the command we give.
Incandescent Light – Usually warm and flattering
Fluorescent Light – Can be warm or cool but always clear and virtually shadow less
- Texture and Material
Texture and material affect color due to two reasons. One is the reflection degree of the surface is different and the capture and absorb of the light is variable. Smooth surface more reflects the light. Therefore, the color appears lighter and intense than normal. Materials with grains such as wood or those textures will absorb or reflect the light. Therefore, the color would appear darker than normal.
Warm and cool colors have traditionally been used to determine the psychological effects of color.
Warm colors will visually and psychologically warm the temperature of an interior to a remarkable degree. Warm colors are inviting, homey, optimistic, encouraging, stimulating to the appetite, and the blend objects, patterns, and textures. Warm colors also tend to reduce space and create more intimate interiors. Reds, oranges, yellows are known as warm colors.
Cool colors generally calm and relax the mind and body, giving the impression of lack of pressure and plenty of time to wait or to accomplish tasks. Cool colors often suggest more formality and precision of detail, pattern, and color. These visually expand space, making them effective tools in small, cramped quarters. Cool colors subdue the appetite and emotions. Greens, blues, purples are known as cool colors.
Common Color Associations
- Pure, intense: Danger, passion, love, excitement, stimulus, conspicuousness
- Dark, neutralized: Wealth, power, sometimes evil
- Pure chroma pink: cheerfulness, youth, festivity
- Light or pastel pink: Femininity, innocence, relaxation, delicacy
- Pure, intense: friendliness, warmth, celebration, clarity
- Dark, neutralized: wealth, success, fame, rich depth
- Light or pastel: stimulation (to the appetites), security, relaxed euphoria (sense of well being)
- Pure, bright: cheerful optimism, sunshine, springtime, renewal, intensity, demanding, revealing, warmth (too much is hot), intellect, stimulation
- Dark, neutralized golden yellow: wealth, affluence, status, distinction, high esteem, Too much is brash, garish, or ostentatious
- Middle to light value: intelligence, wisdom, compassion, freshness, cheerfulness, optimism, goodness, clarity, cleanliness
- Pure, bright: nature, calmness, friendliness, integrity, practicality, frankness
- Dark, neutralized: solidity, wealth, anchored tenacity, security
- Blue-green: sea and sky, cleanliness, nostalgia, calmness
- Yellow-green: youthfulness, freshness, happiness
- Pure, intense: loyalty, honesty, integrity, royalty, stimulation, restlessness. These also apply to deep or neutralized blues.
- Deep, neutralized: sincerity, conservatism, safety, peacefulness, kindness, compassion. These also apply to pure or intense blues.
- Light or pastel: tentativeness, cleanliness, calm, expanded time and space, lack of security
PURPLE or VIOLET
- Pure, intense: optimism, imagination, royalty, dignity, poise, renewal, commitment, drama
- Dark, neutralized: depth, richness, security, sternness, soberness, sobriety, dullness
- Light or pastel: freshness, springtime, flowers, imaginativeness, femininity, kindness, sensitivity
You may not forget that the effect created by colors on your walls or any other object could reflect your image, your status. If you could use this in the correct way, it would help you to express your own identity to the world.
Happy Colorful New Year!